Policy Director – Airlines for Europe (A4E)
Launched in 2016, Airlines for Europe (A4E) is Europe’s largest airline association, based in Brussels. The organisation advocates on behalf of its members to help shape EU aviation policy to the benefit of consumers, ensuring a continued safe and competitive air transport market. With more than 635 million passengers carried each year, A4E members account for more than 70 per cent of the continent’s journeys, operating more than 2,900 aircraft and generating more than EUR 110 billion in annual turnover. Members with air cargo and mail activities transport more than 5 million tons of goods each year to more than 360 destinations either by freighters or passenger aircraft. Current airline members include: Aegean, airBaltic, Air France-KLM, Cargolux, easyJet, Finnair, Icelandair, International Airlines Group (IAG), Jet2.com, Lufthansa Group, Norwegian, Ryanair, TAP Portugal, Travel Service and Volotea. More at www.a4e.eu.
A4E is looking for a motivated and experienced Policy Director (M/F) to join its team in Brussels. S/he will lead key policy campaigns on behalf of A4E’s members – in particular in the fields of aviation security, passenger data, border control, and cargo – ensuring that their interests are effectively represented and that the association’s voice is heard in Brussels and Europe. S/he will report directly to the Managing Director.
- Exceptional communicator (oral and written) in English with a proven ability to conduct policy research and analysis, develop communication strategies and translate complex technical concepts into policy-ready tools. Knowledge of an additional European language (e.g. French/German) is a plus;
- A minimum of 5 years proven work experience;
- A track record of influencing stakeholders on policy and legislation;
- Excellent knowledge of the EU institutions and legislative processes, gained through working in industry, government relations or EU affairs. Prior experience in the aviation industry or transport sector is a plus;
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with EU officials, policy makers and experts over time. Capacity to network in different settings and at multiple levels of decision making;
- Skilled organiser, capable of managing a challenging agenda with competing priorities. Ability to work with diverse airline members and to build consensus among stakeholders with different perspectives;
- Understanding of the aviation industry and airline sector in particular.
The selected candidate will:
- Work in a dynamic, diverse and international team in the heart of the EU quarter;
- Be uniquely involved with the aviation industry and European airlines in particular;
- Contribute to the visibility of airline industry priorities in the EU policy landscape;
- Manage and drive policy campaigns in line with the association’s objectives, in particular on issues related to aviation security, passenger data and border control, and air cargo;
- Coordinate association initiatives on horizontal issues (e.g. EU Aviation Strategy, GDPR, etc.);
- Develop and assert association positions, interact closely with airline members, lead and coordinate the work of assigned A4E Working Groups, Expert Groups and Taskforces;
- Represent the association within dedicated EU fora and at external events;
- Maintain strong relationships with key stakeholders across the European Commission, Parliament and Member States.
If you are interested in this position and match the above-mentioned criteria, please apply by sending a CV and cover letter (max. 350 words) to email@example.com. Please mention in the subject line “A4E Policy Director 2019”.
Please also indicate if you consent to A4E processing your personal data for the purpose of this application and until this position is filled.
Deadline for application is 2 May 2019.
A4E is an equal opportunity employer. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only contact short-listed candidates.